Monday, December 12, 2011

Saint Nick and Our Guest


 This past Tuesday (December 6th) we celebrated St. Nicholas Day and I was remembering the St. Nick party that we hosted at our house last year.  We were looking at the calendar for a date to invite a friend up for dinner and when we settled on the date we realized that it was the weekend before St. Nicholas Day. We changed the dinner into a theme party and invited our children and grandchildren as well as a few friends. As everyone came in they removed a shoe and placed it under a small tree that I had set up. I told the legend of St. Nicholas and the children waited ’patiently’ for St. Nick to fill their shoes.

It just happened that my husband, John, had an artist reception scheduled for that evening at a local eatery where his work was being displayed. The management had already sent out postings and invitations so we juggled the two events by starting our party there.  Our family, a number of friends and previous customers attended this event and John needed to stay until the end. The rest of us returned home to set out the meal.

A short while later he called home to say one last person had arrived at the reception just as he was leaving.  The late arrival was a woman that we both knew from games on Facebook but had never met. She heard about the art reception and drove a distance to attend.  Unfortunately, she got lost along the way and missed the event. John felt bad that she had driven all that distance just to turn around and go back home.  He walked back into the building, showed her the artwork and then invited her to come to dinner back at our house where we were hosting the St. Nick party for our family and friends.  

At first I was a little annoyed; this was an intimate family party. In essence my husband was bringing home a stranger that he’d met online, a practice that we caution our children and grandchildren against. He’s usually a good judge of character but it’s easy to be fooled, especially during the holiday season.  Upon introduction she seemed very comfortable, we all chatted; she had a drink and something to eat with us, watched as the kids examined the treats in their shoes and then sat down and read a book to our grandson. 
When it was time for her to leave John led her back to the main road so she wouldn’t get lost.

I’ve thought about this night quite often during the past year and I’ve had a few ‘AHA!’ moments.  There was a lot of theological significance in that night that I missed.   It was St. Nicholas Day and St. Nick, like Jesus, would have made sure that she was fed and made comfortable and welcome.  When I think back on that night I can see that John was preparing the way in the true spirit of Advent; while I stood back being doubtful. “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me…” (Mt25:35).  I think I missed the message here.

The wonderful thing about God is that we’re always given a second chance if we ask.  During this reflective season of Advent are you taking the opportunity to help prepare the way for the Savior?  

2 comments:

  1. That is a great way to look at it. I've never thought of that night that way thank you for opening my eyes. I too was hesitant upon hearing a stranger coming to the family party, but I'm glad we welcomed a new person. During the advent season my CCD class have been praying the rosary. Also, during the advent season my CCD class adopted a family of seven. One Mother, five boys, and one 18 year old girl. The youngest child was a one month old. And the second oldest is a nine year old all the other ages were younger children. I was assigned to a 3 year old boy. So, I told my 3 year old cousin and explained Santa was still coming but their Mommy couldn't afford to buy him a Christmas present. He felt sympathy for him even though he didn't fully understand. We got the child a race track and some handsome winter clothing. It felt good to help and know that we made that persons Christmas a better one. Because we did this we helped the family and we also helped Jesus. Happy Holidays Everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story! And a great reminder of our purpose here on Earth.

    ReplyDelete