Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Smile!


Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing.  ~Mother Teresa

What makes you smile? In my New Year’s blog, “Read, Eat Fruit and Smile,” I vowed to try to smile more.  It seemed like a simple act at the time but three week later I found out that I was one of 90 people who would be losing their job in April. With that hanging over my head, I found less and less to smile about. Of course we all laughed and made sarcastic jokes about our situations but the occasions for truly smiling were scarce. After April, my smiles were nervous or affected ones. While it was necessary to maintain a positive outlook, the future was very uncertain.  I realized that, after 23 years at the same company, my world had been turned upside down. I needed a purpose to get going every morning. I started going to daily Mass. After a few days my smile returned. It’s impossible to sit in the presence of the Lord and not smile. Combine that with a good homily and I’m ready to face the day with purpose.

One of my friends from church mentioned that she goes to a pay as you go exercise class that’s held Tuesday through Friday. When I was working I was a regular at our on-site gym so this was definitely something that I missed. I decided to try out the classes. One day while facing the mirror during a dance type class I remembered a previous aerobics instructor who used to tell everyone to look in the mirror to make sure you were smiling.  If not then the class would get harder! I smiled just remembering that instructor’s wisdom. Exercise doesn't seem so grueling if you smiled.

Since my husband and I were both home (him working at home and me trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up) soon realized that we were chatting more than working. Fun? Yes. Productive? No.  Unfortunately, the bills still needed to be paid. We decided to reserve all of our daily talking to the evening. Then, while enjoying a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, we sat down and discussed our days. I noticed that during this relaxing time we weren’t only smiling but we were doing a lot of laughing together.
Four months later, I still don’t have a job but I am smiling more these days. I’ve found a renewed balance. My spirituality is stronger because of my ability to attend Mass daily, I’m healthier because of the daily exercise class and the nightly chats with my husband has reduced stress and refreshed our 30+ years of marriage. It seems true that every cloud has a silver lining and that’s something to smile about!

SMILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment