Monday, March 21, 2011

Giving, Not Giving Up

We’re heading into the third week of Lent, a season of sacrifice, penitence and reflection. It’s usually marked by fasting and abstinence. As I Catholic I’m called to fast twice during the season, on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday and to abstain from eating meat on Fridays. In addition, most people will also give up something dear to them: chocolate, sweets, cigarettes, swearing, etc.  One of the more common phrases you’ll hear is “What are you giving up for Lent?” No, giving up the vegetable that you hate does not count!  Additionally, many will try to do something positive: extra prayer, giving more to the poor, reading the Bible, even just smiling more when you really don’t feel like it. My one daughter listens only to inspirational music during Lent.

Last year, in Chaos and the Lenten Season, I told you that my positive and productive thing would be to restore order to my office.  I even included a humbling picture. The office was made neater but during the year  the year I watched the open space fill in again as this , that and the other thing found it’s temporary home in that room. If cleanliness is next to Godliness then this room is still a few miles away! So what to do this year that would be more in the spirit of the Lenten season?

As I looked around me, I realized that there is a lot of suffering going on. How many times have we said, “I’ll keep you in my prayers?” Then we say a quick prayer for that person and move on, obligation done. By the middle of January I realized that I had said this numerous times already this year. Knowing that I couldn’t possibly remember all of these intentions, I starting writing them down in a ‘prayer journal’.  

As I said my morning prayers, I visualize the journal page and pray for all included.  I have three friends with close relatives battling cancer, two with relatives fighting kidney disease, someone struggling with serious bouts of depression, friends who are dealing with long-term unemployment and an elderly couple trying to spend their last moments together while one suffers with heart disease and the other is in the end-stages of cancer.  I haven’t even touched on the trials of my own immediate family. Prayers are powerful and I’m sure that the recipients feel God’s healing presence. Sometimes all we can do is put our troubles in God’s hands; but are there other times when we could be doing more to help those in need as well as those who care for them? As soon as disaster strikes, e.g. hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc., we’re usually willing to send to donations or supplies for the cause.  But what about your family member who’s struggling with illness or the neighbor down the street who just lost a spouse? Is there a small comfort that we could extend? The opportunity for grace is all around us.

During this Lenten season why not take the opportunity to reach out to someone that you know is hurting.  Invite them into your home to share a meal or a cup of coffee; maybe take a meal to their home for the family to share. Ask how they’re feeling, most people suffer in silence, simply because no one asks, it’s too uncomfortable. Offer to run an errand for them, maybe pick up some groceries. We all know someone who could benefit from a friendly gesture.  Be that person who extends themselves and then bask in God’s grace and blessing.  You’ll face Easter with a whole new perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. We can all do with more prayers and small acts of kindness - both giving and receiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Submit to Family and Faith. It's worth sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Too often we want to help those in disasters that are publicized but those who suffer in silence right here at home can get easily overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, that's for sure! I never turn down offers of prayer!

    Jessi, I bet you see a lot of that!

    Sherry, Thanks! I sent it off to them.

    ReplyDelete